Rebel Battalion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Rebel Battalion

Richland High School's Rebel Battalion JROTC Official Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Books and Authors

Go down 
+7
r_warwick
J_Buisman
m_munday
R_Hudson
j_donnelly
j_welborn
n_leyva
11 posters
AuthorMessage
n_leyva
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:57 pm

So, I'm assuming at least SOME of you read for fun, and as such I figured I could start a place where we can go ahead and share our favorite authors or books, or maybe just an author or book you like that isn't your favorite.

Mine? I'm a huge fan of Military Fiction (stuff like Tom Clancy). So I stick to an author named Richard Herman. Writes some great stuff about the Air Force. If you like F-4's, F-15's or A-10's (especially Warthogs) read this guy's stuff. Just ask me about it, I have like 8 of his books.

Strangely enough, I'm not a huge fan of Clancy, and have only THOROUGHLY enjoyed one book by him (Rainbow Six). I'm also reading that particular book like... Right now.

Oh, and for the record, yes. We all know that you all like the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I've never read it, and I'm hesitant to, despite glowing recommendations from a few trusted sources. I did not start this thread with the intent of having it taken over by 'squee'-ing fangirls who are too busy mooning (bad joke) over Edward Cullen to actually contribute to the thread itself.

The same goes for Harry Potter, though I'm guilty of a very fanboy-esque love for that particular series... J.K. Rowlings should be given a medal or something...

And finally, please don't go rambling on about Manga's. They're not books. Graphic Novels? If you really want to get started on a conversation about The Watchmen I won't stop you, but please keep it relevant. This thread's for books, not movies (upcoming or previously released).
Back to top Go down
j_welborn
Private No Insignia
Private No Insignia

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Normally I'm not a big geek fan for Twilight because I hate how it ends. Stephenie should have thought about it a bit better.
my favorite book series is (don't anybody laugh please) Mrs. Murphy murder mysteries.
Back to top Go down
n_leyva
Captain
Captain

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 10:11 pm

As I said, never read it. So I wouldn't know. And I can't laugh at you, because I've never heard of that series...
Back to top Go down
j_donnelly
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:32 pm

Of the few books I did read, (i read on occasion when i find a really good book) I enjoyed them immensly. If you enjoy science fiction, and a pretty fun story, you should really check out some of Orson Scott Card's books. Ender's game is in my opinion an amazing book, its fun to read, and it leads into a really large universe when it continues into other books expanding on the story. It even has a parallel story that plays through the life of another character along the same story.
Back to top Go down
R_Hudson
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Female Number of posts : 96

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 am

As most of you know I'm an advid reader so here is my list.
Anything by Anne Rice (or her other names)
The Lord of the Rings series or any of the books connected to it
Yes Harry Potter
Anything by Diana Wynne Jones
or even better anything by Robin McKinly (Both of these authors are immensly talented and any of their books should be read they have plenty)
Oh and the Artimis Fowl series
Or the series by Libba Bray

Most of these actually all of these are fiction/fantasy books so if you like those kinds of books I highly suggest all of these
Back to top Go down
m_munday
Private No Insignia
Private No Insignia

Male Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Who ever reads for fun has no life

I am sorry who ever does, but reading is only fun when it is notes, MySpace, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mbm2012
J_Buisman
Corporal
Corporal

Female Number of posts : 53

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of Ted Dekker. He writes a lot about the battle between good and evil and in a terrific way, too.
His best book, in my opinion, is Obsessed. It's tied into WWII. And it's an amazing book. I wouold reccomend it to anyone who likes to read about good and evil.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace/com/typokid
r_warwick
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Male Number of posts : 87

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 6:18 pm

books? hate those.
nah i lke solid history books. 1066, The Year of the Conquest, by David Howarth. easily read, a good read.
Red Road From Stalingrad, Mansur Abdulin. A red army soldier's memoir of his time as a mortarman, saw his share of fighting.
Back to top Go down
R_Hudson
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Oh and i have more now but before i go into those if you don't like readiong stay out of this thread.

Anyway I have just started a massive book reading so i can recomend even more now.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
1984 by George Orwell
Something Wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury
Dante's Inferno by Dante Alighieri
Faust by Wilhelm Furtwangler

uh and for now that's it I have plenty more and I think I'm just gonna keep throwing them out there as I find more that I think you should all read.
Back to top Go down
R_Toben
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Aha, Nick.
You've started quiet the spree!

I'm a sucker for medieval-esque romance.
You know - knight on a white horse comes galloping into the castle, only to find that the dragon has in fact eaten his beloved, taken the treasure - and oh, would you look at that? I'm on fire.

Continuing.
I /love/ fiction based on fact.

Following that, and my previous spiel, I /highly/ recommend Juliet Marillier.
She's a bit tough to read, but goes into many, many long-forgotten eras. (Norse mythology, what little we have of the Pichts/Gaels, etc.)
Beautiful books. The Dark Mirror Trilogy, especially.

Moving on -
"Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon is my current book.
And...I am in love.
It's an /extremely/ difficult read, even for myself. But for those of you who enjoy war books, this is good. And I mean good.
I've yet to finish it. So don't ask what it's about.

George Orwell's "1984", as Rachel said, is extremely good.
As with the rest of his works.

And, for those of you who enjoy the stage? Really - you should read Shakepeare. His plays are just as lovely on paper. Especially "Hamlet".

I recently had a book introduced to me by a close friend, "Bottled Up" by Jaye Murray. Easy read, easy to relate with - I read it quickly, and it was definitely worth my time. I recommend it for you kids who don't enjoy reading often, but can handle reading about kids like yourself.

"Good Omens", Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Hilarious. Amazing book.

Rick Riordan's books, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" are /awesome/. Easy reads, but they definitely pull you in. Can't wait for the next book!

"The Kiesha'ra Series" by Amelia ****-Rhodes.
I couldn't put them down.
Highly recommended to all of you fantasy-lovers. They're in the high-school library, easy to read, and highly addictive. Wonderful books.

As for books from my own personal library!
Lois Lowry. Anything by Lois Lowry.
Petrach's poetry is breath-taking, for you poets out there.
"Peter and the Starcatchers", (And all other related titles), by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson - very fun reads! Modern fantasy for the young at heart. (Peter Pan spin, yo.)
Virgil's Aeneid, (also for you who enjoy war-books. Hecks yes.)
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", by Mark Haddon. Interesting.
"Tristan and Isolde", the original translation.
"The Once and Future King" - YOU WILL BE READING PARTS OF IT IN SCHOOL, YOUNG-ONES. And it is worth finishing. Oh man, oh man, oh man.
"What White People Like".

And at last - the moment you've all been waiting for:

The Bartimaeus Trilogy.
by Jonathan Stroud.
My favorite books yet.
You should read them. No matter your preferences.
Go.

//clears throat

Yes.
I know my way around our library.
If you're stuck and in need of reading counts books quickly before 6 Weeks, contact me. I give good advice.
Back to top Go down
R_Hudson
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Oh god Renny i completely forgot about Good Omens. I freaking loved that book. It reminded me a lot of the style of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy though i think good omens was written first. But still you're right amazing and hilarious book.
Back to top Go down
R_Toben
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 11:40 pm

I have /yet/ to finish the Hitchhiker's Guide!

Haha.
It's still in my library, sparkly and golden, book-mark in place.

Waiting for me.
Back to top Go down
n_leyva
Captain
Captain

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 3:14 am

You people and your Good Omens amuse me.

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet, both amazing authors who wrote a hilarious book.

By the way, Renny, do you know what happened to my copy? The softcover? I can't remember if it was you i lent it to or someone else...

Also, if you enjoyed that book, go check out the Discworld series. Least, i think that's the name... All written by Terry Pratchet
Back to top Go down
R_Toben
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 1:08 am

Actually, I believe you lent it to someone in your family.
Lisa, maybe?
=\

But, I did return it.
If anything, I'm good for returning books.
As I hate nothing more than lending out my beloved babies, and never seeing them again.
>_>
(like my /entire/ Lois Lowry collection to my cousin. Hardcover and everything. ;_; )
Back to top Go down
R_Hudson
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 am

awww I'm sorry Renny I love Lois Lowry. Notice that's why I don't lend out my books....Teneal has yet to give me back my Sleeping Beauty . Oh and i forgot to mention one book i'm reading. It's for ASL and it's called Alandra's Lilacs can't remember who it's by but it's about a hearing woman having a deaf child and how she copes it's really really good.
Back to top Go down
K_Duranczyk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Female Number of posts : 23

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 1:49 pm

Im going to be totally unoriginal and tell you guys that I love harry Potter
It has been (hi!- joel t.) the only real book that I have REALLY Enjoyed
Back to top Go down
j_paine
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Female Number of posts : 21

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 6:56 pm

mmm.. I stay away from big books, they intimidate me. So I tend to ignore the twilight series and such. I'm a big fan of books about kids with no parents (creepy, right?) Stuff about people dying or about imaginary friends...mmm...

Like~ Valley of the Wolves
or >.< one of my favorites ~
If you come softly by Jaqiline Woods

O.O Or the Ghost twins!!! YAY 4 CHILDRENS STORIES!
Back to top Go down
s_helton
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 4:22 pm

The Twilight Series.
I know shocker. I just love it, vampires and all. Im still reading Breaking Dawn, Jordan beat me! Jeeze that women reads like no other. ( uber fast and all ) I just dont want the story to end so im taking my sweet time. 593 Jordan! Moving on up! haha, You should be proud of me.

Ellen Hopkins
She wrote Burned, Crank, Glass, Impulse, and identical.
Ive Read them all besides Identical Amanda is reading it first while i finish Breaking dawn.

Those are the only books ive read. Like ever.
The thing was i got grounded in Late October from everything Including my mobile device, so i was just left with books.
&& i got hooked.

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/smileygreeneyes2
j_paine
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Female Number of posts : 21

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 am

Ah sarah! Your gettin there. aha~ ^ ^ Not gunna lie-- im extremly proud of myself for reading the entire series in 3 weeks. ahhhh sweet success~
Back to top Go down
s_helton
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:58 pm

j_paine wrote:
Ah sarah! Your gettin there. aha~ ^ ^ Not gunna lie-- im extremly proud of myself for reading the entire series in 3 weeks. ahhhh sweet success~
3weeks! Jeeze women.
Epic proudness. haha im not really sure when i started reading twilight. Some time before Christmas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/smileygreeneyes2
Sponsored content

Books and Authors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books and Authors   Books and Authors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books and Authors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rebel Battalion :: Fun Chat :: General-
Jump to: